Monday, August 13, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, here is the moment that we have all been waiting for!!! The FINAL COPY!!! Asynchronous vs Synchronous Interaction









Asynchronous vs. Synchronous interaction

Dr. Terry Anderson will settle the dispute between which form is better for distance learning


The video is set up to look like a group of people attending a conference and the host is showing videos before the presenter comes on stage.  All of the host lines are in green and the “movie” script is highlighted in yellow.
 
Clip of quote – “Once viewed as a less rigorous, softer, easier way to complete a course or degree, faculty now realize that the time involved in the development and delivery of a high-quality online course is substantial…There is no longer a need to spend time defining what online distance is or is not; it is now commonplace in higher education and is gaining popularity in the K-12 arena as well”

        -Palloff & Pratt, 2007)

(Next slide – Now the question is what form of delivery is best for students….Asynchronous or Synchronous)

(Clip of the Hyatt Hotel in Las Angeles, CA)

(Title slide scrolls across the screen – Technology Conference 2012)

(Clip of audience waiting to hear speaker)

(Ding, Ding, Ding,Ding)

Host :  Hello I need everyone to go ahead and have a seat.  Please have a seat and welcome to the 2012 technology conference.  Before we introduce your speaker for today I would like for everyone to have a seat sit back and watch the introduction presentation.

(Scene of audience watching movie)

(Movie begins – The New Way to Communicate)

He’s doing it.  She’s doing it.  Even toddlers are doing it. From texting to Skyping, blogging or plain talking on the phone millions of people use a variety of tools to communicate with each other but no matter what device or method they choose to use for interaction they are communicating in one of two ways…synchronously or asynchronously.

(Movie clip fades out and we return to the audience)

Host: As we have just seen, technology has filtered its way into our everyday lives and it has been no different in the world of education. According to Durrington, Berryhill and Swafford distance education has grown from a phenomenon offered by a few institutions to almost a universal option that students come to expect (Durrington et al, 2006 ).  In 2003 88% of educational institutions were planning to offer asynchronous online courses (Durrington et al, 2006). “In 2005, the largest university in the United States was the University of Phoenix, a for-profit institution featuring distance and distributed learning” (Anderson, 2008). They specialize in asynchronous and synchronous forms of interaction.  Asynchronous courses can be defined as courses whose communication and collaboration occur over a period of time with no time zones restrictions (Ashley, 2003). Synchronous communication occurs in real time or same time different place mode (Ashley, 2003). Currently, many students still prefer face to face instruction and find themselves in quite a bind when choosing between face to face instruction and online distance learning programs (Durrington et al, 2006).  Students in distance learning programs tend to complain about feeling isolated and have concerns about social interaction (Cavanaugh et al, 2004). Students with language difficulties may also feel disadvantaged with such a heavy text learning environment (Cavanaugh et al, 2004). However, research says that students in virtual learning school showed greater improvement than their conventional school counterparts in critical thinking, decision making and time management (Cavanaugh et al, 2004). The pros of synchronous interaction include chats, discussions and dialog in real time where students can be provided with immediate feedback (Palloff & Pratt, 2007).  Often times collaboration in this model is extremely engaging as students can go back and forth in their discussions. However, this model often may force individuals in different time zones to meet at the same time causing many scheduling conflicts (Palloff & Pratt, 2007). The pros to asynchronous include the ability to connect at your own convenience (Anderson, 2008).  You have time to think and reflect before you actually have to submit a response (Anderson, 2008).  Students with language barriers actually have time to dissect and analyze information before providing feedback students in this model often complain about feeling isolated and lost if there is not enough communication (Palloff & Pratt, 2007).

Before I present Dr. Terry Anderson to settle the dispute between which forms of interaction is best for online learning, let’s watch a video about a young career woman and student named Jordan.



VIDEO FOR THE AUDIENCE (Only Synchronous interaction)

Setting: Home near computer

(Jordan rushes through the door after being stuck in traffic all day to hurry and log onto her synchronous online class)

Jordan:  I can’t believe I was in traffic for that long.  I don’t even have time to relax and get something to eat before class starts. 

(She drops her purse on the floor and proceeds to the computer.  The computer is logging on too slow and she is now late for her synchronous class)

Jordan:  What is taking this computer so long?  I hope I didn’t miss anything important.  We are only chatting for a few minutes before the session is over.

(several minutes later)

Jordan:  Finally…

(She picks up the head set and begins talking to her classmates)

Jordan:  Sorry guys, it has been a really hectic day.  So what did I miss?



Only Asynchronous

(Jordan casually strolls through the door after being stuck in traffic for a long time she pours herself a glass of wine, turns on the TV and checks her phone before logging on to her computer.)

Jordan:  I hate I missed the live session but my group members should have uploaded the discussion to my class by now.

(Jordan logs onto her classroom to find the video loaded.  She takes a of wine but notices that she needed to ask her group members a really important question if she was going to finish her part of the assignment tonight)

Jordan: Oh my goodness, I really needed to hear their feedback about my response to the discussion question I submitted.  I don’t know if I was headed in the right direction with my conclusion.  I really wish I could have been here to listen to everyone else so I know whether I was going in the right direction and get some feedback.



Both Asynchronous and Synchronous interaction

(Jordan walks through the door and logs onto her computer after being stuck in traffic. She puts on her headset and begins chatting with her other classmates)

Jordan: Hi guys, sorry I’m late.  The traffic was terrible.

Classmate:  That is cool. We went over a lot of information so I will post our discussion so you can watch it later on.  Did you have any questions about your discussion post? 

Jordan:  I just wanted to know if I was headed in the right direction with my conclusion.

Classmate:  Looks pretty good, but I think you that should not just look at synchronous and asynchronous interaction in isolation, but also how they might work together in a distance learning course and what the benefits of having both would be.

Jordan:  Great idea…I after the day I’ve had…I think I can definitely do that.  Thanks for your feedback.  I will watch the first part of this discussion this evening and e-mail you if I have any questions.

(Slide – now let’s see what others have to say about asynchronous vs synchronous interaction)

Host: Jordan is not the only student who benefits for asynchronous interaction, we’ll also look at a young lady named Tiffany who actually attends a college campus.

Interviewer: Hi how are you doing? Do you mind if I sit next to you and interview you for a minute? 

Tiffany:  Oh sure, uh… I’m actually studying right now.

Interviewer: Well, that is exactly what I was wanting to talk to you about…so, what kind of campus do you attend?

Tiffany: I attend Georgia State University, so I do get to attend a college campus, but my professor uses podcasts.  I’m so thankful that he does because I wasn’t feeling well and missed class the other day, but now I can just go online and review the material. My professor is a huge advocate of using asynchronous interaction like podcasts.  He believes podcasts can increase cognitive understanding by increasing motivation and engagement (Traphagan et al, 2009). 

Interviewer:  Were you able to get all of the material that you needed?  Did you feel like you were missing anything because you weren’t in class?

Tiffany: Um…Yes actually, I wish all professors would consider using some form of asynchronous interaction.  The problem is that many professors don’t feel comfortable using technology like this and the truth of the matter is, that if a professor is not comfortable using technology, then the technology won’t be successful (Christensen, 2002).

Interviewer: That’s awesome.  I’m so glad that you were able to get all of your work and use the podcasts as another form of learning.  Thank you so much for allowing me to sit down with you.

Tiffany:  If it wasn’t for the podcasts, I would really be lost in class tomorrow.

(clip – introducing the single mother and online classes)

Host: Modern day lifestyles have also had a tremendous impact on the amount of people who have to use asynchronous or synchronous interaction.  Let’s take a little while and look at a young lady named Nicole.  She is a single working mother who desires to further her education.

(video shows Nicole holding a baby and preparing dinner)

Interviewer: Do you mind if I ask you if you even have time to take college courses.

Nicole: (Sigh) You would think that with being a single mom, having to come home and cook dinner, and do everything all day that I wouldn’t, but thank God for online courses.  As soon as I put my little one to bed, I get on the computer and I am able to complete all of my course work online. 

Interviewer: Do you mind if I ask what type of online courses you take? Asynchronous or synchronous? 

Nicole: I actually take a mixture of both. Being in my situation, I prefer the asynchronous because I can log on at any time, I put him to bed, I get on the computer and do what I am supposed to do but the synchronous is really helpful as well.  One of the things I like about the synchronous model is the fact that I get immediate feedback.  A lot of our group members will meet online and the professor will be there and we kinda get guided instruction.  The Asynchronous courses are just a God send.  In terms of me having to work all day long, I can log on whenever I want to.  If I catch a break on the weekend and I get onto the computer to do my course work or post something to my blog I can do that as well. I can do that as well.  So I actually like the combination of both.  For time, of course, I like the asynchronous better, but when it is time to turn in a project and I need a little guidance, I prefer the synchronous model.

Interviewer:  Wow…that sounds great

Nicole:  Well was that all of your questions?  As you can see I’m really busy. 

Interviewer:  Sure…I will let you get back to cooking for your little one.

Nicole:  Well thanks; it was good talking to you

Interviewer:  Have a wonderful evening.

 (End of the video presented to the audience)

Host:  What a great video and now without further ado we welcome Dr. Terry Anderson.

(Crowd claps)

(Credits role)

References

Anderson, T. (Ed.). (2008). The theory and practice of online learning. (2nd ed.). Edmonton, AB:

Athabasca University Press.

Cavanaugh, C. Gillan, K., Kromrey, J., Hess, M., Blomeyer, R., (2004). The effects of distance education on


Christensen, R. (2002). Effects of technology integration education on the attitudes of teachers and

students. Journal of Research on Technology Integration, 34(4), 412-433. Retrieved from


Durington, V., Berryhill, A., Swafford, J., (2006). Strategies for enhancing student interactivity in an

online environment. Heldref Publications. 54(1), 190-193. doi:10.3200/CTCH.54.1.190-193

Jahng, N., Krug, D., & Zhang, Z. (2007). Student achievement in online distance education

compared to face-to-face education. European Journal of Open, Distance, and E-Learning.

Traphagan, T. Kucsera, J., Kishi, K., (2009). Impact of class lecture webcasting on attendance and
            learning. Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 58:19-37, doi: 
            10.1007/s11423-009-9128-7



               

56 comments:

  1. I will be online from 8:00 - 8:30 and will view comments and respond to those comments during that time.

    Thanks
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I thought I sent you some feedback yesterday but it is not on your feed. I will be watching again now. My notes that I thought I posted were that you had a good intro, good research and that I loved the debate about the two methods. Give me 12 min... Feel free to watch mine in the mean time. http://colemanmelissa.blogspot.com/2012/08/final-presentation.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem Melissa. I also am watching your post on our WIKI page

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think you did a great job! The scenarios were interesting, and you made some great points about the difference between synchronous and asynchronous

    ReplyDelete
  5. my video is also on my blog if you want to do them all tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not a bad idea. I will look on your blog and leave comments!!

      Delete
  6. I think that your example of Nicole is so very much like our lifestyles. For example we are trying to have one synchronous meeting and it is so hard. I believe that the asynchronous part is the most efficient for advanced adult learner (a godsend). Feedback is about the only thing I like when needing interaction from the instructor, maybe one time slot per week per class would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! I thought about the huge coincidence in my topic and how difficult it was as well. The skype situation was not working out and I was about to freak out but I thank you for logging on in this form!!

      Delete
    2. No problem. It is almost like we are on the discussion forum.

      Delete
  7. I have two videos on the techbook. One for this class on my blog and the other on our wiki page for anther class. Both are quite a bit different, one more real life and one more of a presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definately see the differences, but it was smart to choose related topics. It probably worked in your favor. I should have streamlined my topics, because this was a very difficult summer session. I feel like I did not get a break.

      I left extremely detailed comments on the wiki page.

      I also just noticed that I was logged into the wrong group members blog the entire time. I was under MShuman and not coleman. I now understand why I did not make such a great grade on my blog!! LOL I guess that how it goes sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Think we lost some members, I have been logging in to whoever's I can find. I haven't seen anything from George yet.

      Delete
    3. We did lose members, I email Dr. Powell a few weeks ago about this.There are some members behind on the blog. Dr. P said he counts blog posts on any class mates page, not just group members. So your posts should still count, you just may want to let him know what happened. I had to do something similar a few weeks ago.

      Delete
    4. I found leaving feedback on the wiki was easier using the discussion tab, but not feedback directly on the ppts. Both classes were challenging during the summer without access to students for video use. I was glad of the time off though once I started editing and putting the pieces together.

      Delete
  8. Please let me know if either of you are seeing
    my posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seeing your posts!!! Thank you for joining me!!

      Delete
  9. TchnGranny
    I am seeing your posts, what is your blog address, I am having trouble with my feeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. whew, was afraid I wasn't getting through. I agree with melissa; the case scenario of finding time to do these meetings synchronously is an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. darn bifocals make it so hard to see the code we have to type in on these pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me it is not the bifocals.... I always laugh because it makes me type something about not being a robot or spam. I think a robot would do a better job of seeing and filling in the code than I do.

      Delete
    2. It takes me a few tries, I always type spam as spma

      Delete
  12. :) that is what I thought. My bloglines was not working right for a bit. Technology and synchronous work does not always mesh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. do you both have time to look at mine tonite too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching yours again now. I really like windows 7, you can have two windows open side by side.

      Delete
    2. This is funny, have yours on my big computer, with mine to switch off to. Melissa's is open on my laptop.

      Delete
  14. You made another interesting observation about the timely feedback. I sometimes check several times a day to see if anyone has responded in our discussions. It's important to see if we are on the right track. Sometimes I like to wait to post to see a few others'. Not to use same ideas of course, but just to see if I am thinking correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind sharing ideas,as long as we expand our knowledge base and create new paths on those ideas. I also check often and sometimes read more than I post. I find it hard to keep track of the discussion forum feeds and keep the ideas in the right thread. I like being able to read blogs and wiki's for longer postings. Each one has a new page for leaving feedback on.

      Delete
    2. Melissa

      In terms of our discussions, it seemed a lot easier to keep up with posts before blackboard collaborate. I don't know what version of blackboard Walden University has adopted because I use Eluminate/Blackboard with students and it is AMAZING and very easy to follow.

      Delete
    3. Barb - please read the comments I left on your page. They were lengthy and I tried to copy and paste my comment...not happening!!! Blogger truly fears that I am spam or some sub-human life form.
      Yes...one of the reasons why I liked today was because I did get the feedback immediately. I loved this activity after we all were able to squeeze in the time!! I wish I could have used this footage in my video!!! Thank you for joining in with me today!

      Delete
  15. Melissa, might be easier if I put my comments to you on here so they are in one place. Yes, my son taped me, and helped me put it together. You can definitely tell the difference in the sound clips on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes Melissa, I enjoy the discussions but sometimes have to read through a whole group to see what the latest post is referring to. Question, in your research did you find certain brands of tech book readers to be more popular? My 7101 project is iPads, but think there are others cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The platform to read on themselves vary in popularity. I think the Ipad is the most widely known but the kindle fire is what my students have the most of. It is a more affordable choice for where I am, about an hour outside of st. louis. The ipad is what discovery says is the most compatible but I have not tried to access the techbook on my xoom. I hope they make a mobile app for the techbook to be used on any mobile device.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The way our geography book works they can access it on any computer, but don't think they can use an e reader for it. I buy Walden books for my ipad/Amazon when they are available.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you both having to enter that code everytime you reply on mine?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was told to use an app called Rover for mobile devices and discovery techbook. I am planning on using one of our Ipads at the HS to log in and see how well it works. I have a few special needs students that use them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to have a set of iPads for my reading students, small classes, they are below level readers, but there just isn't money.

    I am going to do more of the video conferencing this year, and will try Skype too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working with a small group of gifted students this year and I think it would be awesome to skype or video conference another class!!! After watching your video I was inspired!

      Delete
    2. If you want to try something, just let me know. My school email is bwilkison@fcps1.org

      I have 6th and 7th grade reading, for kids a little below grade level, and two classes of grade 8 World Geography.

      Delete
  23. I assume since he isn't here Dr. P will be reading our blogs to see that we did do this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I posted a link to both your blogs to reflect the comments from tonight on my blog. I have to log off and thank you both very much for meeting with me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good idea! Good night and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good night Brittany, and again, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Barb and Melissa

    I did email Dr. Powell to tell him about our chat this evening. So I hope he checks it out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Brittany,

    I enjoyed your video and the way it went back and forth from a video clip and then to slide information. I also liked that you included the audience a lot in your video presentation.

    Good job,
    Tenai Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok, I have a Skype account, and according to directions I found online I can set up a group and invite you all at the same time. My Skype name is barb.wilkison, don't know if you need it, except to communicate something, but my home email is barbjow@comcast.net.

    I am off to the Nats game tonite and have parent back to school again tomorrow, but I am available Thurs, Friday, after 4 PM and all day Saturday, Sunday.
    If you will let me know what is good for you, and send me your Skype name, I'll try to set something up. I have never done other than one on one with my family, so I don't think we should wait till 11th hour on Sunday. :) If any of you have done the conference call before on Skype and want to set it up, please feel free! I am posting this on my blog page too, in hopes that you will all see it someplace. I can't find anywhere on here to send emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb...
      I know that we thought we had already participated in synchronous interaction through the blog, but I guess it wasn't quite right; however, I really enjoyed talking to you on the phone tonight. The story you told about the creation of you video was amazing and showed how much of an impact you have on your students for them to be willing to come in during their time off and help you with your project. I was not able to call or e-mail my students because I changed jobs. I also love the secret you told me about the youtube videos. I have always wondered how people were able to embbed other videos in their presentations. Thanks for mentioning youtube video downloader. I will use that in the future.

      Talking to you this evening was awesome.

      Thanks
      Brittany Riddick

      Delete
  30. Thank you for the meeting. I think we all did great. I posted a record of our meeting and attendance on my blog in picture form. Also the recording is accessible online and but it is password protected, in case it is needed for class or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brittany, as we talked about it the other night, and again this evening, I think you did a great job on your presentation. Yours was unique in that you did "personal" interviews with the people you discussed. One of the topics we talked about was the appropriate age group that would best work with synchronous learning. I agree that the middle-high school group is optimum. They can interact with classmates, and if it is a high school class they are all on the same schedule, to meet, say at 10 every morning, from home. For the adult learner, it's harder. As we saw this evening, not everyone's schedules allowed them to attend our meeting. We all have commitments and time zone issues.
    As to your question about my students, I was fortunate that when I emailed them to please try to meet me at school one morning in August to help me with a video, some were able to do that. Taking two classes this summer, with little/no access to students was a challenge.
    I liked that we were able to share tips about which applications and techniques we used to create this presentation. (Audacity, Movie Maker, YouTube Downloader, etc.)
    I liked being able to actually chat real time with you ladies; I think next time we have a class together we should plan a few of these virtual gab sessions! Thanks again for sharing your insight.

    ReplyDelete